Thursday, April 10, 2014

Hissing and Spitting, Tilly the Cat Joins the Family


My mom has always claimed that if there is a juvenile delinquent in the family, better your pet than your kid. Since I live in a house surrounded by fur-delinquents,  I question this theory.
                
Tilly is a mostly Siamese semi-feral cat who was abandoned at my stables. I worried that the coyotes, owls and bobcats viewed her as an hors d’oeuvre.  I was on a mission to capture and save her.
                
That involved going to the LA Department of Animal Services: i.e. the pound.  It’s a place I avoid at all costs as I have a disease known as a suckerous for doguses in cages. But I pulled on my big girl boots and went.  After tons of paperwork -in LA you can walk onto any street corner, hand over ten bucks and pick up a gun but you need a permit to rent a cat trap -- I was allowed to walk away with a Have-a-Heart trap.
                
The trap had immediate results. At daybreak the next morning I received a phone call from the stable instructing me to ‘come get your G**D**M screeching  cat.’
                
We went directly to the vet to get Tilly flea dipped, inoculated and spayed. Except, she didn’t need spaying.  Apparently she had been neutered in a feral cat program. The ear I thought had been torn in a cat fight was actually notched, which is how these program track which cats have been neutered. And Tilly was not entirely feral.  At the vet, she sat quietly purring in my lap.
                
I installed her in my den with a spanking new litter box and food (mmmm Fancy Feast) and water. For a few days she was thrilled, and soon came out to get patted, admired and stuffed with expensive cat food. She hid under the couch whenever the dogs approached, but that seemed wise—Murray the Dane is loud and fearful of cats, and the Poppy is just, well, a Brittany.
                
Soon we all reached a compromise. Tilly would appear from under the couch to be scratched and adored. When I left her door open , the dogs would stay out of her room in a huff. If they came in, she’d hide. When they were asleep in the other room, she’d carefully explore the house.  She did show a peculiar interest in sitting in the fireplace. All in all not a perfect situation, but livable. Until a workman accidently let her out.
                
I was devastated. I called her and called her: nada. I tacked fliers on every phone pole and slipped notes into all of my neighbors’ mailboxes. I searched everyone’s back yards. No Tilly.
                
At 11PM one of my neighbors had called to say Tilly was two doors down from my house hanging at an abandoned home. I flew out the door in my best flannel pjs, one hand clutching a flashlight and the other the cat trap. Tilly sat on a wall and howled at me. As I left to go home she was circling the trap warily.

An hour later I went back to check. There was a cat in the trap. It just wasn’t the right one. My next-door neighbor’s enormous furious tabby obviously couldn’t resist the smell of Seafood Delight. He was so huge it wasn’t easy for him to turn around get out when I opened the door. I reset the trap and stomped home.

At sunup I checked the trap. Success! I had a brief moment of superiority.  I celebrated far too soon.

As Tilly was terrified she hissed at me all the way home. But once I opened the cage in the den, she ran over for a cuddle before heading for breakfast and the litter box.

I was brushing my teeth when I heard a clink. With some trepidation I checked under the couch. No Tilly. The damn cat was gone. Again.

Now I was pissed. This cat was treating me like a bed and breakfast. Or more accurately, a potty and breakfast. She didn’t stick around long enough to sleep.

That evening I returned to her abandoned house and called and called. Nothing. I called around my house. No cat. But a few hours later the dogs started barking and trying to climb into the fireplace.  It finally dawned on me that the flue was broken and she was using the chimney as her own personal Holland tunnel. And was now attempting to return. Outside I trained my flashlight beam on a Tilly-sized lump on the roof. I called her and she turned her back to me.  If a cat could give the finger, I was getting it.

Inside the house I set up a complicated chute leading from the fireplace directly into the cat trap. I was proud of myself—it was a work of art. I locked myself and the dogs in my room convinced I had outsmarted Tilly. Ha! Take that smarty cat.

Before I retired for the night I checked on her.  She wasn’t in the trap but when I called she answered and it seemed awfully loud and close for a cat in the chimney or on the roof. I followed the yowls. Directly into her room where she was sitting on the couch demanding dinner. Loudly. She had already used her litter box of course

After that I put a baby gate in front of the fireplace. Eventually I am smarter than a feral cat.
                 


No comments:

Post a Comment