Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's Off To School I Go!

It’s Fall, which has always been my favorite time of the year. The days are cool and crisp, and the nights get cold. The trees change color and it rains a bunch. Oh, wait, that’s what Autumn was like when I lived in New England.

Here in So Cal, we get about three days like that a year.  And they might be in June. So other than by looking at the calendar, we never really know what season we’re in. 

But this year I can tell you it’s Fall because I’m going back to school.  I am not going to be clutching a Wonder Woman lunch box, or a book bag filled with number 2 pencils and brand new erasers. But otherwise  it doesn’t feel like much else has changed.

My stomach is in knots. I admit it; I’m scared.

I’m not afraid of the work – I never was. I know I can handle that. But, now, just like when I was 6 or 18 or 21 and starting first grade, college and graduate school, I’m terrified of the intangibles. The things I can’t control. Did I mention that I’m a control freak?

Like what if I don’t make any friends? What if people are mean to me? What if I’m the oldest person in my class? What if, like in the nightmares I started having last week, I get terminally lost?

If I’m thinking rationally, I know the answer to all these questions.  I may not make friends but I’ll survive with a few acquaintances.  No one is going to be mean to me; no one will care that much. That’s the joy of not being 7 anymore. Or 16.  And yes, there is the distinct possibility that I’ll be the oldest one in my class. 

Big freaking deal.  I have a ton of life experience to draw upon. For what that’s worth. (I hope a lot!)
I now understand  that while it would be lovely to meet a whole new group of potential work buddies and have them adore me, it’s not imperative. Unlike when I went to school the last time, I have a group of supportive friends, great former colleagues and a host of people I can draw on in a pinch.

I’ve also learned that I can’t make people like me. Which is good, because anyone that you can make like you, usually isn’t really a decent friend anyway.  Chalk that wisdom up to age and experience.

Also I've noticed that lately I don’t really give a damn. If somebody doesn’t like me, it’s a bummer, because everybody wants to be liked. But if they don’t, I’ll live. And probably thrive.

The folks that my career depends upon liking me don’t have to adore me. They just have to know they can depend on me. And they usually do.

This time, like every other time I went to school, what I’m really afraid of is getting lost.  Even with GPS I get lost everywhere.

My undergraduate college was pretty small, but I managed to spend the first few days of my freshman year wandering around in a daze. I ended up in the art department a few times, and did spend a lot of time walking around with a map up to my nose. They have an app for that now.

Now instead of being branded as a Freshman because of the map, all student look alike: they have cell phones in front of their faces. Which may be useful in places where Freshmen are hazed.

When I went to graduate school my classes weren’t even held on the main campus, they were in downtown Chicago, which brought a whole other level of getting lost. I missed L exits and ended up in odd, unpleasant places. It wasn’t efficient, and I was late for a lot of classes, but I sure did get to know the city.

This time I’m going to UCLA. UCLA is big. Huge, even.  In all the years I have lived in Los Angeles I’ve only been on campus a few times. Those were for concerts that I was working.  That didn’t intimidate me much.

I had great plans to scope out the school today, since class starts tomorrow. I was going to get a parking pass and a map. Or app. Naturally that didn’t happen.

My house is pretty much as far away from UCLA as you can get and still be in Los Angeles. So I’m going to leave an hour and a half early tomorrow.  I won’t have a Pokeman backpack, but I’ll be clutching a tote bag I won at a horse show filled with notebooks and pens.


But I’ll still be the one holding the map in front of my nose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment