Monday, August 11, 2014

Peter Frampton is My Hero

Everybody has personal heroes and this week Peter Frampton tops my list. Yes, that Peter Frampton. 

Actually, I’ve been a fan of his for years but for completely different reasons.

Most people know Frampton from his years as a pop superstar. His 1976 album “Frampton Comes Alive” was a blockbuster, selling more than six million copies and spawning the hit singles, “Baby I Love Your Way” and “Do You Feel Like We Do.” The fact that he was downright dreamy didn’t hurt either.

I was addicted to his earlier work with the late, great Humble Pie. Steve Marriott’s wailing vocals and the band's raw energy set the stage for a lot of bands that followed and Frampton’s guitar work was stellar. But that was a long time ago.

I had kind of lost track of Frampton, though he has continued to work and perform. He's played with some of my favorite artists including David Bowie, Kenny Wayne Shepard  and Roger McGuinn among others.  But it was something he did last week which has little to do with his playing, but everything to do with his performance, that made him near and dear to my heart once again.

Frampton has long had a policy asking his audience to forgo shooting video or pictures at his shows.  Most of the time his fans comply. But last week in Indiana a couple in the front row didn’t. They were holding their phones up running video from the moment Frampton walked on stage.  So he stopped the show and asked them for the phones. They complied, evidently believing he was going to take a selfie with them.  Big mistake on their part.

Instead of taking a photo, Frampton smashed  the phones as hard as he could against a wall. To which I say, BRAVO!

One of my biggest pet peeves at live events is people filming the proceedings. It’s not just that the stupid little recording lights are distracting, or that perpetrator’s hands are inevitably waving in front of my face.  It’s the concept.  I believe that live events, be they sports, music or theater, should actually be experienced. You know, in the moment. Live.

The reality is that no one ever looks at the video of a concert they shoot.  Mainly because it’s unwatchable. The film is blurry and distant, with the object of the shoot just a moving speck in a spotlight. With strangers' heads blocking the view.

It could be anyone anywhere.  On top of that, it’s usually jigglely as well, since the person holding the camera is dancing to the music or cheering on their team. And don’t get me started on the sound. In short these videos sucks. Not exactly Academy Award-winning material. Or even Razzie fodder.

For most of my adult life I’ve been lucky enough to earn my living through music. So music is important to me. I honestly believe it can change your life. But for music to do its magic, you have to be open to it. To actually listen and engage. Spending an entire concert squinting at a hand held screen instead of seeing the real-life action which is unfolding before your eyes is simply bizarre. And counterproductive.

Aside from that are the practical considerations.   What kind of idiot spends upward of $75 to watch a wavy blurry spec that sounds like a Thomas Edison recording?  That’s just plain weird.

I simply can’t figure out the point. Are the videofreaks so disconnected from real life that if they don’t have photographic evidence of every moment of their existence they don’t believe they’re alive?

Don’t get me wrong. I take pictures. I like mementos. A quick gander at the mountains of stuff that fills my home proves my point.  I even take pictures at events.  But I do it before the show begins. Because once the performance starts, I’m actually actively involved with it. To me that’s the purpose of a live event. Otherwise I’d stay at home  on a comfy couch and listen to the album, or watch the act on a professionally filmed video. With decent camera angles and superior sound.


This is why I place Peter Frampton near the top of my heroes list.  If you’re not familiar with his non-pop work, you should make an effort to hear it. Personally I have dug out all my Humble Pie albums and have been listening to them all week. They totally rock. And while I never saw them live, I bet they were amazing.  Frampton still is. You don’t need personal video to prove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment